Sunday, September 27, 2009

What am I on about?

Ok so far, I've read about theories and philosophies about the virtual construct. It all seems to relate back to one crucial element: the space.

The essence of architecture (physical or virtual) is about the space. 'The space between people'. It is how we perceive it and how it engulfs around us.

The definition of architecture according to Wikipedia (Long live Wiki) is :
Architecture is the art and science of designing and constructing buildings and other physical structures for human shelter or use.


As mentioned earlier, evolving architecture has given form to a new kind of representation to its construct.

The perversity of a new dimension of architecture defies rational conception behind the original purpose. Whereas nature once stood as the canvas, a new man-made institution is taking shape. We stand in a digital era, ruled by educated coders, absent from what mankind has always known. Humanity is now only a sub-level of the extension of what we perceive to be human. Therefore, architecture must adapt to new laws, and new consumers. I speak only of new digital environments, canvases created by humans for artificial entities. In today’s modern era, a new generation of architectural representation has arisen. One that defies all needs for architecture in the first place.

This excerpt is taken from the blog of The Tracer who is an avatar in Second life. His real name is Ted Mikulski and is a graduate from Norwich University with a masters degree in architecture. He looks in the virtual realm of architecture and design, which is what I think I am trying to get at.

Typing, clicking and moving the mouse are actions that all have effects on the mainframe that controls them. Therefore, the new digital environment is one that is directly shaped and molded to a humans actions and thought process.

Welcome to Second Life.





Why do we need SL to educate ourselves? How does a virtual world change our awareness of a space? Is reality cunningly turning into a computer game? How does the virtual world change physical architecture? How do you design for a virtual world? What beholds the future of the virtual world?
These are some of the questions I will be attempting to answer or research further into. However my research is not limited to the above mentioned questions. Fingers crossed, lets hope VR does not lead me to the Pandora's box.


PS: I do not support Second Life to the extent where I would leave my earthly belongings and galavant across the realm of second life aimlessly trying to 'meet new people', but I do see potential in how it can help people better learn and understand about space, architecture amongst other important aspects of design to deal better with RL.

Just clearing the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment